The Sterling BBC1225 'Wildside' battery-to-battery charger provides fast charging of your caravan or trailer battery via your vehicle's towing socket. It takes the low voltage at the towing socket and boosts it to provide the correct, multi-stage charging profile for your battery. This unit is particularly suited to those who prefer touring, and so don't have frequent access to campsites with mains hook-up, and/or those with vehicles whose engines are Euro 5/6 spec. With the 'Wildside' fitted you can be confident that your caravan battery will be charged at the end of your journey.
Note: Recommended for use with caravan fridges that have a current draw of 12A max.
The traditional method of charging directly from the alternator via the towing socket offers very poor performance because of the small cable and long run lengths used. This results in large voltage drops meaning zero to little charging of the auxiliary battery takes place and often the on-board fridge simply can't operate at the low voltage provided. Electrical demands have increased in modern caravans (caravan movers etc.) meaning that good charging has become even more important, however, with the introduction of Euro 5/6 engine vehicles with 'smart' alternators, the charging performance has, in fact, become even worse. This is because these alternators reduce their output voltage to save fuel when the starter battery is nearly full, which amplifies the already poor situation with voltage drop and effectively renders the charging system completely redundant.
In addition to providing a fast charge, the Wildside protects the caravan's battery and electrical systems from high and potentially damaging voltage spikes produced by regenerative braking systems. You can also choose to prioritise sending power to either the battery or the fridge and the Wildside works with all battery types.
Compatible with the following manufacturer's technologies plus many other Euro 5/6 + vehicles that use smart alternators & regenerative braking.
| || || || |
|® Trademark of Mercedes Benz ||® Trademark of Volkswagen ||® Trademark of Vauxhall ||® Trademark of Ford |
- Suitable for all battery types (wet lead acid open and sealed, AGM, gel, lithium and calcium).
- No connection to alternator required (no warranty issues)
- No adverse effect on ECU
- Charges many times faster than traditional direct connection via towing socket
- Suitable for connection to either a 13 pin or twin 7-pin towing sockets
- 4-stage charging profile for a deep charge and long battery life
- Solves Euro 5/6+ smart alternator and regenerative braking issues
- Input voltage boost/reduction for stable and correct charging profile
- Fridge output can be set for permanent supply or only when in transit
- Battery low-voltage shut-off on fridge output (prevents over-discharge)
- Automatic battery isolation/separation with engine off
- 9 preset battery chemistry options to suit all battery types
- Comprehensive front panel display
- Straightforward installation utlilising the existing towing socket connections - cables not included
Designed in the UK
- Input nominal system voltage: 12V DC
- Output nominal system voltage: 12V DC
- Expected output current: Typically 15-19A (dependent on cable size and quality of connections)
- Voltage output: Variable dependent on selected charging profile
- Stand-by current draw: 1mA
- Cable connection: Screw clamp terminals
- Weight: 1kg
- Overall dimensions: 185(H) x 121 (W) x 67 (D) mm
- Fixing hole dia: 4.5mm
- Sterling part no: BBC1225