The VCC 1212-50 from German leisure electronics specialist Votronic is a compact and lightweight battery-to-battery (DC-DC) charger designed to charge your 12V leisure battery from your alternator whilst on the move. The highly efficient charging technology means that better use can be made of the alternator's charging capability (up to 50A can be passed), resulting in significantly reduced charging times and more complete charging. Even during short journeys a high level of recharge is possible, with a deep and full recharge achieved during longer journeys. Alternator voltage fluctuations and surge currents are eliminated which protects your leisure battery and connected consumers from harm, and the multi-stage charging profiles ensure your battery can never be over-charged. It features fully automatic operation and the starter and lesiure batteries are electrically isolated when the vehicle's engine is off, ensuring you cannot drain one battery from the other.
It can be fitted to vehicles with either standard or Euro 6 'smart' alternators and the selectable charging profiles mean it can be used with any type of lead-acid battery, as well as lithium LiFePO4 batteries. The Integrated Vehicle Power Supply Filter ensures that parallel charging sources (e.g. battery chargers, solar, generators etc.) can be used on the same battery without any issues and the unit can trickle charge your starter battery with a small 'bypass' current when your leisure battery is connected to a mains-powered charger. A battery temperature sensor is also included that can be used to optimse the charging voltages based on the ambient temperature.
- Compatible with all alternator types (standard, Euro 5, Euro 6 +)
- Fast and deep charging of leisure batteries from 75-320 Ah (recommended range)
- Can be used with all lead-acid (flooded, sealed, AGM, gel etc.) and lithum batteries
- Compact and light weight
- LED status indicators
- Protects battery and consumers from voltage spikes and surge currents
- Selectable, multi-stage charge profiles for different battery types
- Battery over-charging is eliminated
- Fully automatic operation (activated when the engine starts)
- Protects starter battery from accidental discharge
- Trickle charges starter battery when charging leisure battery from mains power
- Protection against over-load, over-heating, over-voltage, short circuit and back discharge
- Input current draw from alternator can be reduced/limited
- Output charging current can be reduced/limited
- Automatic compensation for voltage drop in charging cables
- Temperature-compensated charging
- Charging aid for deeply discharged lead-acid batteries
- Optional Remote Control Unit available
- Designed and manufactured in Germany
- 2 year manufacturer's warranty
Recommended for battery capacities in the range 75-320 Ah in vehicles with standard or Euro 6 alternators.
- Starter battery nominal voltage: 12V DC
- Recommended min. starter battery capcity: 60Ah
- Power consumption: 760W max.
- Current draw: 0.1 - 68A
- Leisure battery nominal voltage: 12V DC
- Max. charging current: 50A
- Recommended leisure battery capcity: 75-320 Ah (up to 440 Ah max.)
- Max. charging current for deeply discharged batteries: 25A
- Starter battery trickle charging curent: 3A max.
- Output voltage: 15V DC max.
- Standby current draw: 16mA
- No. selectable charging profiles: 8
- Operating temperature: -20 to +45°C
- Fan speed: Variable according to temperature
- Overall dimensions: 160 (L) x 135 (W) x 72 (D) mm
- Weight: 950g
- Manufacturer's article no: 3326
Part Number: C85066
|Average Rating (2 Reviews): |
Thursday, 24 March 2022 | Russell
Only just installed it but it was easy to connect. Jumper settings are a little difficult to understand
So far so good
Thursday, 20 August 2020 | Sam
Fitted the Votronic 50A B2B charger in a mk7 transit with 150amp standard alternator. Bought it as the van has twin 130AH AGM batteries (in parallel, so 260AH 12v bank) which ideally need a proper charging program to maintain them properly.
So far (2 weeks/ 1000+miles) it's working flawlessly, batteries are fully charged with each journey.
Important to note that mine is set up less than a metre from the starter battery, using 25mm˛ cable, and other than the included temperature sensor I have not needed any other connections (I.e. no 'ignition on' sensor) which I have seen people in forums claim is necessary. Just a chunky cable from start, another to ground, another to leisure battery. Simple.
Hi, Thanks for the great review. Ignition or D+ connections are required on Euro 5 & 6 vehicles to make sure the system is working in the correct way. The D+ Connection is always preferable as the ignition connection can cause your starter to drain if the ignition is left on for a period of time.
Votronic is a German company that has been designing and manufacturing high-end electrical and electronic products for the camper, caravan, marine and 'blue light' vehicle markets since 1987. Offering charging, solar, inverter and control technology, its focus is on innovative and extremely reliable products.